Author: Stephanie Haywood
Incorporating Self-Care in an Entrepreneurship Lifestyle
Image Source: Pexels
As reported by the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), COVID-19 has created a stressful work environment for entrepreneurs. As per their research, 66% of entrepreneurs have reported feeling low or tired weekly, while 39% feel depressed. If you’re an entrepreneur looking for ways to cope with stress, this article by Kafui Fitness explores numerous self-care tactics for improving your quality of life.
Entrepreneurs are infamous for choosing work over meals, as eating well requires an investment of time and money. But a simple cost-benefit analysis of eating well points to the fact that making time for meals will lead to increased productivity and higher levels of concentration.
If you are unable to find the time to cook daily, inculcate the practice to meal prep. This involves cooking your food at once in batches that can last you up to a week. Similarly, you can opt to hire a meal delivery service that can send you nutritious meals each day.
Do you often feel tired in the workplace? Or have frequent headaches? It could point to the fact that you are dehydrated. As reported by Harvard Health Publishing, an average adult requires 4-6 cups of water a day. While this figure may seem small, most individuals fail to meet this mark.
Being hydrated provides various health benefits such as:
- Better blood flow
- Maintain ideal blood pressure
- Regulate body temperature
- Clear skin
- Improved digestion
- Reduced constipation and acid reflux
Additionally, you will experience an increase in energy and concentration levels, allowing you to make better decisions and be productive at work.
If your daily schedule has never included the word exercise, adding it now is the best time to do so. Why? Because exercise is the best stress-buster in the market, and you don’t need to do a lot of it either. A simple 30-minute home workout will help you overcome work-related stress, improve your physical health, and have a better sleep cycle.
Your exercise regime can include the following:
- Body-weight exercises: Push-ups, burpees, pull-ups, squats, planks, and more.
- Aerobic exercises: Jogging, cycling, swimming, jump rope, etc.
- Stretching: Post-workout stretching allows your muscles to recover from strenuous activity and help improve flexibility.
While exercising, your body will release endorphins which trigger a natural positive response in the brain leading to an alleviation of stress and happier moods.
Learning to Say No
Being an entrepreneur, time is your most valuable asset and you need to learn how to utilize it towards important projects of your business. While attending team meetings and presentations is important, you do not need to be there on all calls and discussions. Saying no is an important attribute to learn, enabling you to prioritize your time and work to the best of your abilities.
Additionally, this also means saying no to overworking yourself. It is okay if you leave for home at 5 pm rather than 6 pm. This allows you to create time towards activities beyond work such as hobbies, exercise, family, and more, helping you to develop a good work-life balance.
Managing Business Finances
The report by BDC also mentioned the current economic recession and managing cash flow as major reasons for stress among entrepreneurs. If you’re currently looking for ways to secure additional funding for your business, applying for grants is a good choice. As reported by Ownr, here are some popular small business grants to apply for:
- Industrial Research and Assistance Program
- Canada Digital Adoption Program
- Youth Employment Skills Program
- Regional Opportunities Investment Tax Credit
- Business Retrofit Program
To increase your chances of being accepted, follow these steps:
- Thoroughly research the grant requirements and conditions. Applying for grants that match your industry and goals will lead to a higher chance of a positive response.
- Create a strong business plan highlighting unique features of your business, utilization of funds, and future goals.
- Start your application early, gather all required documents and take your time to develop the best grant application possible.
Following these steps will allow you to keep stress in check, make informed decisions and keep your business healthy as well.