To put it lightly thus far the spread of the Covid 19 has been crazy! Businesses and stores have closed, and most places are practicing a form of social distancing or self quarantine in order to help decrease the spread.
Collectively as a society we have to work together and listen to the advice of our Governments and the World Health Organization in order to beat this. Together we will overcome!
Practicing social isolation can be easier said than done so we have come up with some strategies that will help you (watch the video above or continue reading).
Strategies to survive social isolation
- Socialize …. hold on one second, I’m not telling you to go against the status quo here. Humans are social creatures and losing interaction can negatively impact your mental health. Technology today makes it so easy to stay in touch with your friends and family with tools like Google Hangouts, Skype and Zoom. You can have regular group video chats with your friends and family and there are different software programs that also allow you to host group game nights as-well. I would recommend scheduling hangouts with your friends and family like how you would usually and utilize one of these tools.
- Stay Positive – This may sound a little cliche but it is so important to stay positive in a time like this. When you turn on the news it can be very hard not to get caught up in all the negativity from the amount of new cases and deaths. It is important to stay informed but make sure you are not getting fixated on the news or try and focus on the positive news like the amount of people that have recovered!
- Exercise – Physical health also greatly impacts mental health. It is very important to still get in daily exercise. I know this can be harder since gyms are closed, but there is still a lot you can do. Get outside and go for a walk or a run. Additionally, you can do at home workouts too. Not sure how to workout from home with limited equipment? Check out our At Home Workout Resource Page!
- Nutrition – I know for my self being at home all the time makes me stick my head in cupboards and fridge much more frequently. It’s still important to make sure you are eating healthy and balanced meals. If you require assistance check out our nutrition plans and coaching options.
- Build Routines – If you are sitting at home bored without any structure you will find your self falling through some of the traps we’ve already discussed like getting bagged down by the news, over eating etc. It is important to still schedule out your day and a form of structure to help normalize your situation.
- New Hobbies – Is there a skill you’ve always wanted to pick or learn? Did you want to start reading more, sewing, learn an instrument or take an online course? If you do have extra time now would be the perfect time to do so!
Times are tough right now, stay positive, stay home and together we will overcome!